Temporary Change of Campus to Penn State World Campus for Fall 2021

One option for undergraduate students who may not be able to attend classes in person in fall 2021 is to make a temporary change of campus to Penn State World Campus.

If you choose this option, you will select from the World Campus portfolio of asynchronous online courses, which feature engagement with peers and faculty built into the course design. Student engagement, tutoring, and student support services will be provided by World Campus. Tuition will be charged at the World Campus rate and in-state/out-of-state rates will not apply. There is no international student fee or student activity fee.

This is not a permanent change of campus and you will maintain enrollment in your degree program while you take courses through Penn State World Campus. For the spring 2022 semester, you will automatically be changed back to your original campus.

Steps for Requesting a Temporary Change of Campus

  1. Talking with your academic adviser is a critical step to determine if a temporary change of campus is the best option for you. With your adviser, you can review the courses you need to make academic progress and confirm that the courses you need are offered through Penn State World Campus. Some colleges have specific rules regarding courses that must be taken through your home college; your adviser can assist you in making sure that the World Campus courses you schedule will meet your degree requirements.
    • Note: The Penn State World Campus schedule of courses continues to expand in response to the course needs of students who plan to study remotely. The schedule will be updated throughout the summer and finalized in LionPATH by August 1.
  2. To request a temporary change of campus, submit the request through the LionPATH Student Center (select Degree Planning & Process, then Update Campus). To help us identify courses needed, it is encouraged that you list the courses you plan to schedule on the request. Note that your request is not automatically approved. It will be reviewed by both campuses.
    • The request is first reviewed by your home campus, who will verify that you have spoken with an academic adviser.
    • Your request is then reviewed by Penn State World Campus. If you are currently registered for fall semester, you will be notified to drop those classes before an approval is processed. Penn State World Campus will work to ensure that the courses you need are or will be available. You will receive an email notification that your request has been reviewed. This notification could take two to three business days or longer.
  3. Once enrolled, you will be assigned two academic advisers, one at your home campus and one at Penn State World Campus.
  4. When you are approved, you will receive an email notification of the decision sent to your Penn State email address.
  5. Should your circumstances change, you can consult with your adviser, drop your courses at Penn State World Campus ,and schedule in-person classes at your home campus, if seats are available.

The temporary change of campus process takes time; it is highly recommended that you initiate the temporary change of campus prior to the start of the fall semester. We recommend students start the process as early as possible and make their final decision by August 9, 2021.

International Students

If you are unsure about whether you will be able to get your visa you may be wondering whether to schedule now in-residence or do a temporary change of campus. These are challenging times, and we want to help you make an informed decision about fall classes. Having a conversation with an academic adviser will help you think through the various pros and cons based on your individual circumstances.

If you have further questions regarding visa or travel restrictions, you can find more detailed information on the Global Programs fall 2021 web page or email questions to international@psu.edu.

Financial Aid/Scholarships

Scholarship eligibility

If you have received a scholarship from a campus, college, or other awarding unit, please contact that awarding entity to discuss the ability to keep the award before submitting your temporary change of campus request to World Campus. You can verify the source of your award by accessing your LionPATH Financial Aid Award and clicking on the blue “i” button next to the award.

Some scholarships/endowments have very specific stipulations that make the award incapable of “traveling” with you to another campus. You may also want to discuss whether the scholarship can be reinstated to you when you return to your original campus. 

Unfortunately, an equivalent alternative funding package is not always possible, given the relative lack of available scholarship funding. 

It is very important that you discuss changes in your costs or aid options with your college or campus representative or the Office of Student Aid. If you are unsure who to speak with regarding your costs and aid, please contact the Office of Student Aid by phone at 814-865-6301, or through their web page.

Federal and state aid portability

Any federal aid of grants, loans, or work study can move to any campus, including Penn State World Campus. 

If you have a Pennsylvania State Grant, it is portable to any campus, including World Campus, but the value of the award may be recalculated by PHEAA based on that campus’ tuition costs.

PLUS loan or private loan impacts

Depending on the value of the PLUS or private loan already awarded, if you move to a lower-cost campus, the loan may be reduced to compensate for the lower tuition rate. If you are planning on applying for a PLUS or private loan, please process your temporary change of campus first so the loan value can be accurately calculated based on any updated costs. Students should consult with the Office of Student Aid for individual assessment, if needed. The Office of Student Aid can be contacted by phone at 814-865-6301, or through their web page.

When you will see an updated student aid package

A revised student aid package should be available within 5–7 business days of when your temporary change of campus is updated in LionPATH. This will include updated costs and any reprocessed aid. Costs and aid may continue to change if courses are subsequently dropped or added.

GI Bill®

Students with GI Bill–related questions who may be interested in changing their campus should contact the Penn State Office of Veteran Programs at veteran@psu.edu or 814-863-0465, or contact the veterans representative at their campus.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Penn State World Campus Resources

Co-curricular programs and academic and student support services

Students who change their campus to Penn State World Campus will have access to all co-curricular programs and academic and student support services offered by Penn State World Campus. Students from other campuses are welcome to attend most Penn State World Campus co-curricular programs.

Penn State student health insurance plan (SHIP)

Unfortunately, Penn State’s Student Health Insurance Plan is not available to Penn State World Campus students.

If you do not have insurance as a U.S. citizen or as a permanent resident, you may reach out to the Student Insurance Advocate for consultation by phone at 814-865-7467 or by email at insuranceadvocate@psu.edu. The Student Insurance Advocate provides individual student consultation as well as outreach and education to students and student groups around health insurance. The Student Insurance Advocate will assist students in identifying insurance options, including Medicaid or Affordable Care Act marketplace plans.